Sunday, December 21, 2008

yes,they can

Last week one of my favorite friends (who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent) wandered into playgroup and asked, in an exasperated tone, " Can men do anything?!" To which all four of us promptly replied,"No." She then proceeded to tell us the tale of her husbands thwarting of her plans for the day just by being himself and a guy. Don't get me wrong- she was totally right about that particular incident but something that happened to me a week or so later got me thinking. Tommy spent Thursday night up vomiting and with diarrhea, I stayed up with him. It was highly unpleasant for all involved. In the morning I slept later than usual, assuming that everyone, including my various house guests were doing the same. I was not correct. Tommy and his cousin Reese had gotten up and my brother-in-law, Dylan found them. Tommy was lying on the floor feeling miserable and Reese was hugging him trying to make him feel better. Tommy told Dylan he was cold. Dylan made him a hot drink and when that didn't do it he put him in a bubble bath and sat pouring water over his shivering back. That's where I found him thirty minutes later. To my knowledge Dylan has never put his shoes away upon walking into the house and while he was here he almost set my house on fire and lost the baby at the museum but oh how he took care of my boy when it was needed. They certainly can do the important things just right.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I agree! They have those magical moments that make us love them even more. I'm so glad yours was after a horrible night. It makes the next day seem like the calm after the storm.

Amber said...

Oh my heavens, what a weekend! My femi-nazi veiws have shifted somewhat over time, I must confess the yin and the yang is true. We need men. They need us.

Dena said...

The main man in my life has definately become my hero. His patience, love, and encouragement through my illness and health make my life so rich and full; it is hard to understand how hungry he can get when we have a whole fridge full of food.