Monday, September 29, 2008

tinkling the ivories


I do not play the piano, much to my own chagrin. I have always desperately wished I did. I was always a little jealous of the kids who complained about the lessons. I have always sworn that my poor children would be forced to play for their own good and that someday I would learn just because it will make me happy. I love the sound and timbre of a piano. It has always made my heart feel warm and comfy. I have been half-heartedly keeping my eyes open for a piano that I would love that wouldn't break the budget, I am a beginner after all. Trolling around on Craigs' List last week I found what I was looking for, an antique piano in need of a little TLC for a ridiculously low price. I took one of my piano-playing friends to check it out. I fell in love immediately. I love the scroll work, the old fashioned sensibility, the history of this 100-year-old piano. It's a little out of tune but that is easily remedied, it could really use a new finish which might be a little trickier but I love it. I know Ty thinks I am hilarious for loving a piano he refers to as "a little shabby" it's just that every time I look at it I only see what it will be and it will be spectacular, someday. And today it will be the instrument on which I finally fulfill a lifelong dream which is pretty magical all by itself.




*Special thanks to George, Jake and Eric who helped Tymon move possibly the heaviest piano ever made, we owe you guys big time.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

All I can say is "WOW!"

Amber said...

Congrats and good luck on learning and tuning. Old pianos are like old cars, they can look really good and have loads of potential but it can be a lot of work getting there. I have to tell myself that everytime I see either a cool piano or a Karman Ghia. Crossing my fingers you don't have to replace the strings.

erin said...

How fun! Hubby and I really wanted a piano about six months ago. We should have gotten one then because we've since changed our minds, but I'm excited for you! Here's to playing Axel F on the piano!

Adri said...

There is just something about a piano that makes a home complete. I think I'd better go play mine right now! :)