Sunday, February 24, 2008

Postcards from the Edge

Hello all,
No photos this week because we are in what is usually know as "Sunny St. George". Of course, it has been raining since we got here on Friday. As many of you know, I have possibly the best in-laws in the world and we are visiting them and sending Tymon's youngest brother Devin on a mission for our church. I have rediscovered an odd dichotomy in my personality. I love to travel, I love to visit our families, I love to go new places and have adventures. I hate being away from my stuff, especially now that we have children. I have everything I need at home. Everyone has a bed and a routine. All of my drawers and shelves are full of things I use every day. I am not good at living out of suitcases and I don't know how to help my kids deal with the absolute dissolution of their carefully developed schedules. They are coping pretty well considering but I want them to be at their very cutest and most pleasant because we are spending every day with people who love them and don't often spend time with them. I must learn to breathe and relax just a little.
We have lots of memories here. It is where I first lived away from home, where I had my first boyfriend, my first heartbreak, where I learned to trust myself, where I met and fell in love with my husband. We haven't been here in three years and I am always struck by how nostalgic I feel, every time. There is something very settling about connecting to your roots. I don't know if we will ever be permanantly settled anywhere but St. George is one of the places that will always feel like home.

3 comments:

Adri said...

What a bummer about the weather! Hope the sun comes out before you have to leave!

Reluctant Nomad said...

Reading this makes me miss it too. I'd love to settle there....

Linn said...

I so, so, so agree about traveling. I love to go and how I love to come home.