Monday, May 17, 2010

home economics

I am the owner of a semi-fancy iron. I would, of course, love a truly fancy iron but my frugal little heart just can't spend more than about $40 on such a thing. I really love the one I own. Except. My second version of this iron has just died. Black and Decker is lovely about it and will send me a new one at no charge with a brand new warranty. Yay for them. I really do appreciate it. It's just that I'll have to go a week or so without my iron. "But," you are asking youself, "Don't you send all of Ty's work stuff to the dry cleaners? Can you really not find anough non-iron things in your closet to get you through a week?" To which I reply, of course I can but I really need my iron to sew. I iron like a mad woman while sewing, way more than actually necessary. Technically I can do without but nothing will turn out as nicely. It just won't. Plus, like vacuuming, I really enjoy ironing. You know, the whole bringing order to chaos. Smoothing out wrinkles with lots of steam is super calming. I wish I could rent one, just for the week, because, while I occasionally go without ironing for a week, now that I know I can't I will probably want to every day. Supply and demand.

3 comments:

Emz said...

I put out $85 for my iron [and I am as "frugal" as they come]. I have NEVER regretted THIS purchase though!!!!!

Amber said...

Rowenta is totally worth it. Have had mine since my tailoring days with no problems except for a few burned fingers (my fault).

Dena said...

I am on vacation in a place where the iron is broken and they do not remember where the ironing board is. Ugh! How does this happen? I guess I will have to go shopping and buy some new shirts. Yes, that is what I must do...
Love,
Mom