Tuesday, January 5, 2010

avoiding the crowd


There were a million people at my gym at 9:00 this morning. I'm only slightly exaggerating. I realize that I am a gym snob but I honestly believe that if you can't be bothered to come in December, then you aren't allowed in January. Most of these people will have fallen off the wagon by next month and in the meantime they are taking up all the towels and prime parking spaces. Luckily most days I go at 5:30 AM.  At least, that's the plan. You see, I find that this discourages the faint of heart and I don't have to park at Home Depot to go running. Also, my whole day just goes better. I am dressed and ready and exercised before children are up. We have pretty good shot at making it to school on time with beds made. If I get up. I have done this before and once I get going, I always love it. I love how I feel all day after having already worked out, I love being ready for the day for good before I do anything else, I love feeling a tiny bit smug (only to myself) when I see someone at pick-up in work-out gear. I love having time during the day to keep up on my house and sometimes even my business. I love not spending the day trying to figure out when I am going to fit it in. I just don't love getting out of bed. Not ever really but certainly not before the sun. But I always come back to this schedule and the order it brings to my life because that's what I really crave. So, I am off to bed early this evening once again because tomorrow will be an early, orderly, productive day.

#5 Re-commit to my early morning training regimen because we all know it works best.

6 comments:

The Busby Family said...

Good luck with the training, I think you are awesome for being such a great runner. I am looking forward to loosing all this baby weight, but wish I didn't have sooooo much to lose. I always gain way too much. I need to figure out how I am going to do it in Latvia. I can't find your email address, mine is: lisa.busby@gmail.com

Linn said...

It does, it does. We all know that. I have been good at getting up and exercising lately and it feels awesome. But then today I didn't feel well and now it is 9:00am and I am sitting reading blogs instead of doing what I should. See how it just goes downhill when I don't get up and do what I should? Am I rambling...

Emz said...

you're awesome. I could have written this post. it's EXACTLY what I would have written. I agree with every word. morning workouts always = a much better day at my house.

Keep it up!!

Malea said...

I try and try for the early morning gym. Then I get super tired and want to doze at 3. But it is still better to not have to take the kids with to daycare. Maybe I'll give'r another whirl. Let's do it.

Steph and Andrew said...

I have decided to just skip the month of january at the gym and start in feburary. I agree-too many people that are taking up space in my yoga class. PS- still waiting for the stephanie apron; although I will wait for a amazing design.

3StinkyBoysAndMe said...

I have NEVER been able to work out in the early morning. Never!

I've made it my priority to work out in the evening after the boys go to bed or during their nap.

I've often thought, my routine will have to change when the boys go to preschool, but until then...

And speaking of the gym - I'm with you on the crowds. It's so annoying my 6:30pm aerobic classes are packed with people. But then I remember in 6 weeks or so, they'll all be gone.