Thursday, July 2, 2009


I just bought three pounds of cherries. If you have been in northern Utah in the summer, you know that Provo has one of the biggest fourth of July celebrations in the country.When I was a kid we went to the parade almost every year. We took folding camping chairs and hiked blocks and blocks from far away parking spots to sit on the curb and eat cherries while watching the beauty queens and high school bands. They throw lots and lots of candy at that parade but what I really remember was the cherries. We always had them. Always. My Dad is a creature of habit. For me it just wasn't the Fourth of July without cherries. Still isn't. Somehow I never can get past the first week of July without buying masses of cherries. I don't even think about it. They just find their way into my cart at the approriate time of year. Muscle memory perhaps?

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That is awesome! I love unique family traditions.