Saturday, January 3, 2009

well played, Home Depot, well played


Last spring I bought new appliances for my kitchen. Hooray! Unfortunately my brand new, top-of-the-line dishwasher was not nearly as fantastic as I had imagined. I tried changing soaps and drying agents. I tried loading the dishes in a different pattern, I had service men look at it. Nothing. I had to wash the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher if I wanted them to be clean when they came out. Ugh! This was not OK. I spent the summer and fall trying to figure out why this very expensive dishwasher was doing nothing for me. Finally, while my in laws were here for the holidays my father-in-law convinced me that it wasn't just me- the thing was rotten. I called the maker and they sent out a tech who informed me that this particular company while fabulous at most appliances was really not so great when it came to dishwashers- this one had no heating element,disposal or drying system to speak of- yikes. I marched back to Home Depot all in a lather because I had specifically requested those very features. I was ready for a fight, let me tell you. I began by calmly and firmly explaining my problem and that was as far as I got before the tough looking manager assured me that they would fix everything. They helped me choose a new and even slightly more expensive model and arranged all the details in a matter of moments. They actually gave me change when I left. They were lovely and I will definitely buy my next new appliance at Home Depot because they were super great about everything. I never did get to throw the huge temper tantrum I had in reserve but I can save it for another day.

4 comments:

karagarr said...

I love Home Depot too. I am always so glad to hear when other people do to. My dad was working there when he died, and the way the company treated my family was amazing. We have used them for most of our "home" purchases as well, and it sounds like we should continue to do so!

Carrie said...

I'm so glad they didn't get to meet the wrath of Angela! I bet it would have made the nightly news. Just kidding! I'm really glad you got it fixed.

Linn said...

Oh man, you've sold me. If I ever end up buy an appliance in my life, I will buy from Home Depot. Thanks!

Amber said...

Good customer service goes a LONG way. We have a vendetta with Verizon but will be life long customers of AMEX.