Wednesday, July 2, 2008

if it talks like a cowboy...


We do not live in "the south". We live in Kansas. Kansas is sort of south-ish. People are really nice and weddings are a big deal, but cotillions and mint juleps are few and far between. For the most part, people here do not have much of an accent unless they are from a small town on the Oklahoma border or the like. Even the Oklahoma accent is relatively understated. Neither my husband or I have a distinct accent. I know this because I had some relatively exhaustive accent training earlier in my life. Tommy has started adding syllables. Yeah is yay-uh. (Of course I'd prefer yes, but he's only three) and anything with that same sound has the same extra syllable. Where did this come from?! He does not know anyone who speaks like that. He sounds like a good old boy from East Texas or something. I don't want to make a big deal out of it because then he will realize that it's funny and he will never stop so for the time being I just repeat whatever he said, correctly. In the meantime maybe I should buy him a ten-gallon hat because he sounds like he should be wearing one.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Tommy would totally be the sheriff.

Linn said...

Tommy is SO cute! I'm worried our Ben is going to have a Boston accent. Now that is not a bad thing, except that I have a hard time understanding it. It would be super cute though, so I won't complain too much.

Dena said...

ok, so I commented on a bunch of your posts and did not do the word verification thing-they are totaly lost. Is there spell check on these things? And I am major serious about the family websites in spite of my weaknesses. The Lord has promised he will make them my strengths and I am going to do my part. I will need major help, luckily I have you "Angel" and a whole army of "Angels" surrounding me-He Knew they would be busy with me.
Love, Mom

Cassi said...

At least he won't say lay-un,moun-un, and oh my heck!