Sunday, June 8, 2008

spoiled rotten


This evening the transformer in our neighborhood was struck by lightning and the power went out. It was only out for about 45 minutes. This is, of course no big deal right? It was right after dinner. The sky was dark with the storm so we couldn't see, we couldn't run the dishwasher, no phones, no internet, no washing machine, no dryer, no music, no bedtime stories without lights, no air conditioning in 70% humidity. Tommy loved it. He had to call Grandma on the cell phone to tell her that the sump pump was beeping incessently to warn us that it was running on battery power. I remember power outages when I was a kid, they were fun. Candles and ice cream, nothing important to do. Ty remembers a three-day power outage in St. George in July (gasp!) he and his brothers have fond memories, his mother must have been tearing her hair out. I really didn't like not being able to get my stuff done when I was ready to get it done. I realized I am a spoiled, rich westerner who has no idea the kind of conditions in which many people in this world live but I was oh so happy when the lights came on and I could start the dishwasher and read the bedtime stories by lamplight. Thank you Mr. Edison..

4 comments:

The Busby Family said...

We had our electricity off from 2pm to 4am last week. I totally love electricity! It was fun for a little while, but we realized just how unprepared we are for things like that. What can you eat when you can't cook? Your lucky you only had it off for 45 mins. We ate apple jacks and ice cream for dinner.

Cassi said...

I do not recall ice cream in power outs.....When did that happen?

Haley said...

Did you take the lightning photo? We love lightning storms- but we always got yelled at if we opened the fridge or freezer- but I guess I never had one for more than a few hours.

Angie said...

No- it's a stock photo but if I get my new camera for Christmas then maybe next year's lightneing photos will be my own.