Friday, April 25, 2008

blueberry fields forever


Last week I made a rookie mistake. I saw previews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on tv and thought that it might be fun to tivo and watch as a family. I couldn't really think of anything objectionable in the movie and thought Tommy would really dig the fantasy. Wrong. Every time one of the naughty kids got into trouble he had a come-apart. He is now convinced that if you chew gum you will turn into a blueberrry and have to be juiced and that squirrels are vicous creatures that will try to throw you in the trash can. After the squirrels, we turned it off because he was so upset. The was 10 days ago, he has not stopped talking about it. He tells people in the store who are buying gum that they will turn into blueberries and he warns his preschool teachers on the dangers of nut-loving squirrels. He isn't allowed to watch much tv and I think we're going to keep it that way- his imagination doesn't need any encouragement.

2 comments:

LiteralDan said...

Now all I can think of is "the snozzberries taste like snozzberries!"

Haley said...

kids imaginations are great. I just hate it when Corbin watches a movie that I haven't seen and he keeps role playing the roles and I have no idea what he is doing and then he gets upset because I am not responding right. also kids find the strangest movies to be freaked out over. corbin loved Secret of Nimh (remember scary rats, etc- scared me when I was little) but he is terrified of Ratatoille (I have know idea how the spell this). Just plain weird.